Let’s see how to disable the PAN card in a few simple steps.
How to cancel the PAN card?
If you intend to request cancellation of the PAN card, please obtain the PAN card cancellation form first.
It is accessible online and offline.
Here’s how to cancel a PAN card online in a few simple steps –
- Visit the NSDL portal and click Apply for PAN online.
- Under Application Type, select Correction to existing PAN data.
- Fill in the relevant details in the PAN card cancellation form. On the redirected page, name all the cards you want to deliver and click Submit.
- Pay online and download the app for later.
If you are unable to perform PAN card cancellation online, please choose the offline method.
Here is his step by step guide –
- Visit the official NSDL portal and select a new pan map request or a correction in the PAN data.
- Select a link to download the form.
- Submit this form to the nearest NSDL along with copies of the necessary documents.
- After submitting the form, you will receive a confirmation slip.
You must also submit a letter to the assessment officer citing the details of the duplicate PAN and requesting cancellation.
Also, you should know that officials can request an affidavit without other cards.
It is recommended to check the format of the PAN card cancellation request letter before applying. The letter should clearly state the details.
You can deliver the letter to the nearest tax office or mail it. However, do not forget to write down the confirmation number.
How to check PAN card cancellation status?
Ideally, you will receive a confirmation slip after requesting NSDL online to cancel your PAN card. This letter must reach the office within 15 days of the submission of the request.
It is recommended to keep an eye on the status at all times. The method is as follows –
Visit the Income Tax Portal and click “Know Your TAN/PAN/AO” under “Quick Links”.
2.On the redirected page, fill in all relevant details such as gender, name, date of birth and contact number. Click “Send”.
Enter the OTP you received with your registration number for verification.
The status of the PAN card is displayed on the screen.
You may need to submit additional information to find out the cancellation status of your PAN card.
Each taxpayer must know the reasons for the request for deactivation of the PAN card and its steps. Additionally, you should be aware that under Section 272B of the Income Tax Act 1961 you are liable to pay a penalty of Rs 10,000 if you have more than one card.
To avoid such penalties, choose to void the PAN card.